Thursday, April 2, 2015

Belated Halloween Post: Cheap DIY Batman and Robin costumes!

Last year my oldest wanted to be Batman for Halloween. I like to go with themes, so we had little brother be Robin. Our themes may not go as well next year when LilBro can actually speak for himself!

Growing up my mom always made my Halloween costumes. It was probably more out of necessity and lack of funds, but mom is also creative and likes to make things herself. The costumes were not grand sewing projects or anything (mom doesn't sew!), but as a little girl I thought they were the best and most unique costumes, unlike anyone else's from the store, and I still love that she did that for me!

This has translated into my adulthood in that I now make all of our family's costumes, and refuse to spend the money on the cheap (quality) store bought ones. Now, these aren't fancy, by any means! Anyone can do it, even if you can't sew! They are fun, inexpensive, and pieced together with a little imagination, but the boys love it and use the costumes year around! I love seeing their faces light up when the costume is finished and ready to wear.

I know that someday they may insist on the store bought costume, because all of their friends get to buy theirs. And I will probably give in at that point. But for now I will relish being able to make their Halloween dreams come true while they make believe to be someone else for a night, in something I created for them :)

Back to Batman and Robin... For Batman, I found a gray sweatshirt and sweatpants at the thrift store ($1.50 each), added blue felt cuffs, and "boots" at the bottom. Then I cut out a Batman emblem and utility belt with yellow and black felt, and sewed it all on. I just kinda cut and sewed as I went, because that's kind of how I work, but if you want a plan then you can lay it all out and pin it together then sew it all at once. Then I just sewed a blue felt cape on the back and it was done! I did sew, but you could also iron all of this on if you prefer. I knew they would wear it after to play in, so I wanted to make it where it won't come apart as easily. The felt was probably about $5 on sale at JoAnn's Fabrics. I never buy fabric for full price, because they always have sales! I found the Batman mask on Amazon, for like $10. It was my splurge, because I wanted BigBro to have a great mask!


For Robin, I found green pants and a black shirt, again at the thrift store, for about the same price as Batman's suit. I added a red felt "sweater vest" shape to the front of the shirt (not the back). Then I made the same kind of utility belt and emblem and buttons as with Batman, with yellow and black. and added black "boots" to the bottom, and a black cape on the back. Robin had more colors, so I had to buy red and more black for felt for his outfit. It was probably still around $5 for his felt, too. Bet you never knew Robin needs a paci and Giraffe blankie with him to fight crime!


Batman is doing a little dance here... ready for some candy! 


Batman and Robin on the porch... I will cherish this picture and moment always :)

No comments: