Friday, April 10, 2015

Valentines Heart Door Hanger

It is one of my goals this year to have something festive on my front door for every occasion and/or season. Our front door is beautiful, and red, and arched, and has stained glass, and is just the perfect door for celebrating all occasions! I love my door, and I love to dress it up!

For February, I wanted to do something Valentines-y, but I wanted to make it myself and not spend much. I saw an idea for a "rag wreath" where you tie strips of cloth onto a wire wreath to decorate it. I chose to do this same idea with a heart shape for our door. I did not take pictures along the way (shame on me!) so I only have a picture of the finished product. But it was simple enough, and I know you can do it!



I took a wire hanger and shaped it into a heart. It did take some work to get it how I wanted! I had some flannel scraps left over from a girls baby blanket and quilt I made a couple years ago. I have boys, so I didn't use the scraps on anything, and the colors were perfect for this project. I like that it wasn't just pink or red, but there is some green and blue in there, too. 

I cut the flannel scraps into about 1.5 inches by 5 inches strips. It did take quite a few pieces, but I was able to complete the whole thing with just scraps, so I would say not even half a yard of total fabric. Then you just start tying them on the wire! I just tied them once, in a simple "first part of tying your shoes" knot (I don't know the technical term). 

Hint: you can rip the fabric strips, instead of cutting, to give them a more frayed look, and to save time on cutting. You just cut a 1.5 inch wide slit at the top of your fabric and then rip it all the way down the length of the fabric. Then you just have to cut every 5 inches down the strip to get your smaller pieces! And it makes the finished product less manicured!


Here's a father away pic of our house. Doesn't that door just make you want to come visit?! I love it!

No comments: